Health Savings Accounts
Step 1: Obtain a qualified High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) insurance policy. This can be for employer groups as well
as individuals and families. There are many insurance companies that offer these policies but all are subject to federal and state
guidelines as well as the company's underwriting approval.
Optional Step 2: Open a federally qualified Health Savings Account (HSA) where you can deposit up to the maximum amount each year.
Please pay attention to the guidelines and restrictions.
Link for Information
Link to Individual / Family Enroll Online
Link to Employer Sign-up Form
First American Bank
Open HSA Account Online
Personal Accounts for Individuals, Families,
and Employer Groups
FREE - No Fees With
Regular Accounts + Online Statements
Open HSA in a Local Branch Office
10 Metro Phoenix Locations
HSA PROS and CONS:
1. Lower health insurance premiums with high deductibles.
2. Tax deductible deposits to your Health Savings Account (HSA).
3. Tax free interest and capital gain in HSA.
4. Wider array of eligible medical, dental, and vision expenses.
5. Save on network provider discounts for doctors, hospitals, etc.
6. Roll HSA money from year to year.
7. Extra HSA money can become retirement funds.
8. Be in control, you are your own claim department.
9. Never pay taxes on income spent on qualified medical expenses.
1. Another bank account to keep track of.
2. Minor Bank Fees.
3. Tax rules and regulations.
4. Higher income people helped more than lower income people.
5. Lower income people can not afford to make tax free deposits.
In group situations the HSA is owned by person or family not employer.
IRS Forms PDF forms downloaded from www.IRS.Gov.
1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return - Please see line 25.
Form 8889 - Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)
Two main www.IRS.gov publications;
502 - Medical and Dental Expenses Including the Health Coverage Tax Credit
969 - Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans
Please consult your CPA or Accountant For Tax Advice Or Contact Us For a Referral.
HSA Information and Resources
HSA Center - Excellent Resource
US Treasury Department - HSA Publication Page
Articles by Paul Breslau in Scottsdale Airpark News - Acrobat PDF
- September 2011 - Ways to Save
- July 2007 - Out Of Hot Water
- September 2005 - Be Your Own Insurance Company
- January 2005 - Take The Money, Not The Prize